Purposeful Outreach With Education and Recreation
Urban Summer Camp
Christ Power Church & Ministries, Inc
[download registrion form]
Why the P.O.W.E.R. Urban Summer Camp? Educational research has shown that elementary age urban/inner city students reading levels are lower than students from the suburbs. Many of our children because of low reading levels, scored poor on state standardized assessments test. We believe when children are helped and given the opportunity to succeed they will rise to the standard of excellence that is required. At the POWER Urban Summer Camp we believe that through educational enrichment and physical recreation we can help enrich the educational prospects for urban students by connecting them with the best available educational resources during the summer months and also putting a community based enrichment program that can be both educational and recreational at our children’s fingertips.
Why focus on reading development? Reading is an essential skill that overlaps into all subject areas. Evidence strongly suggests that students who fail to read on grade level by the third grade, have a greater likelihood of dropping out of school.(Information was taken from: No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 – U.S. Department of Ed.)
Camp objectives include:
- We will help close the achievement gap with children who have challenges in the area of Reading and Language Arts.
- We will help provide a model programming that will help children meet state standardized assessments test.
- We will efficiently serve inner-city youth on the elementary level in grades 3rd through 5th.
- We will participate in recreation through physical training to include boxing and swimming to help promote good health.
Camp goals include:
- Closing the reading skill gap by applying literal and critical thinking skills.
- Building self-confidence through developing a larger working vocabulary for reading.
- Provide a foundation for continued success in education.
- Heighten self-esteem through recreation/physical training.
Contact our church office at 410-342-7313 or email us at
for more information about the cost and dates of the camp